Before being transformed into the state-of-the-art LEED Platinum epicenter for green commerce that it is today, 2545 West Diversey was used primarily as a manufacturing site. Originally constructed in 1913, it served as a knitting mill which employed 1,000 workers for nearly 54 years. In 1967 the building was sold and began manufacturing architecturally-inspired ‘elegant lamps’. Then in 2005 after 38 years occupying the building, the Cooper Lamp Factory had to close their doors due to rising labor costs and overseas manufacturing opportunities.
After that, the large vacant building was completely re-developed into what we know it as today: A cutting-edge hotbed for green commerce that gives back to the community and promotes environmental sustainability. Enriched by the building history and tenants who came before us, Greenhouse Loft is humbled to be a part of this incredible building’s community and mission.